Spanish Style Sweet and Sour Chicken
Lillian Julow, Gainesville, Florida (Representing the South Atlantic Region)
Ground almonds, French bread, cinnamon and sugar create a sauce for the chicken that is reminiscent of cinnamon toast.
- 3 lbs mixed bone-in, skin on chicken breasts and thighs
- 1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
- 2 slices (1/2 inch thick) French bread
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbs sugar
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- On tray in toaster oven, place almonds and bread. (Almonds and bread may also be browned in a 350° F oven or under a broiler.) Bake at 350° F until light brown, turning once. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. With scissors, trim chicken skin so it just covers meat. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise (if wings are attached, remove and discard tips). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large heavy skillet over medium high heat, place olive oil. Add chicken in batches, starting with skin side down and turning once until well browned on all sides; transfer to 2-l/2 quart casserole with cover. Discard oil in skillet but retain browned bits and any remaining chicken juices. Return skillet to medium heat and add butter and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring, until all brown bits are incorporated into the stock mixture; set aside.
- Tear toasted bread into small pieces and place in small bowl containing vinegar. Place almonds in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add soaked bread, cinnamon, ginger and sugar to processor and pulse until smooth. Pour in juices from skillet and process again.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and bake about 30 minutes or until tender and internal temperature reaches 170° F. Arrange chicken with sauce on platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Calories from Fat 252 (56%)
(44%)Total Fat 29g
(36%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 15g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.