Smoky Cilantro Pesto Beef Crostini
The combination of Italian and Mexican flavors make these unique appetizers spicy and delicious.
- 2 beef shoulder center (ranch cut) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 24 slices baguette bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Smoky Cilantro Pesto3 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Prepare Smoky Cilantro Pesto. Place cilantro, pine nuts, chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice and black pepper in food processor container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add cheese; pulse on and off until just combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in glass dish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange 12 bread slices around steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove bread slices from grill. Repeat with remaining 12 bread slices.
- Spread 2 teaspoons remaining pesto on each toasted bread slice. Carve steaks into thin slices. Place beef slices evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with 1/4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Substitution: Grated Parmesan cheese may be substituted for the Cotija cheese.
Calories from Fat 80 (54%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 11g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.