Rustic Blueberry-Nectarine Crostata
This exquisite summer salad looks perfect on the plate as a one-course meal.
- Pastry:2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 sticks (about 6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3-1/2 to 4 Tbs cold water
- 6 Amaretti cookies, crushed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Filling:1 pint blueberries
- 2 cups ripe nectarines, diced
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 6 tsp coarse raw sugar
- In a food processor combine the flour, sugar, cardamom and salt in a processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse to pea size. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons water over flour; process 3 to 4 seconds until starting to come together (if dough looks very sandy, add water and pulse a few more times until clumping but slightly loose). Turn out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Bring wrap up and cover top of dough; press to form 7-inch disk. Chill until cold.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll out on lightly floured board to form 1/8-inch thick circles approximately 5-inches in diameter. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; transfer circles to sheet. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of circles.
- Separately, whisk the egg yoke and cream. In a large bowl, gently toss blueberries, nectarines, sugar and cornstarch. Mound fruit evenly in center of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Bring pastry up and over filling just to form a 1-inch border. Brush pastry lightly with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar. Chill until cold.
- Position oven rack in lower third of oven; heat to 425 F. Bake crostata 35 minutes until center lightly bubbles and crust is deep golden. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with gelato or lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Calories from Fat 230 (41%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(78%)Saturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 77g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.