Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Ham, turkey, and cheese melt into crispy bread to create a sandwich like no other.
- 4 slices loaf bread (whole wheat or white)
- 2 Tbs honey mustard
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices turkey
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (or mozzarella cheese)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free half and half
- 2 Tbs butter
- Spread one side of 2 bread slices with mustard. Top remaining 2 slices with ham slice, cheese slice, and turkey slice. Close sandwiches with mustard side down.
- Combine eggs and half and half in a small bowl and using wire whisk beat to combine. Place sandwiches in a shallow casserole dish and pour batter over sandwiches, pressing to absorb liquid. Turn sandwiches and press. Refrigerate sandwiches for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Cook sandwiches in skillet on each side until golden brown and cheese has melted. Turn sandwiches again to make sure batter is cooked and bread is crispy.
- Cut each sandwich into four triangles. Serve with baked chips and pickle if used for lunch. If served for breakfast or brunch, serve with fresh fruit.
Calories from Fat 263 (49%)
(46%)Total Fat 30g
(75%)Saturated Fat 15g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 42g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.