Grilled Vegetables with Feta Cheese
This vegetarian variation on moussaka (a traditional Greek dish with layers of eggplant and lamb) makes excellent use of leftover grilled vegetables.
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 scallions, ends trimmed and halved
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, the eggplant, red peppers, scallions, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans and toss to coat the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, until tender crisp and slightly charred with grill marks on all sides. Remove from the grill and when cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt, cinnamon, and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the grilled vegetables and simmer 2 minutes.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the feta cheese.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright © 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup.
Calories from Fat 63 (47%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 15g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.