Creamy, Healthy Corn and Quinoa Chowder
Traditional corn chowder is made with tons of butter and cream, but this version loses the fat and keeps the comfort. Perfect for a cold winter day.
- 3/4 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil (can use about 3/4 of a Tbsp)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large red potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 small shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain soymilk (I like low-fat soymilk)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbs chopped cilantro, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Lime wedges, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast quinoa and cumin seeds in a pot over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat oil in pot; add corn, potato, and shallots. Sauté 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Add broth and soymilk and bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until quinoa and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.
- I served it with toasted pita wedges which were fun to use as little dippers in the soup!
Calories from Fat 68 (20%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 58g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.