Chili Con Carne
This recipe makes enough for a crowd. You can also freeze part of it for eating later.
- 3 cups kidney beans, dry
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef, extra lean
- 1/3 cup chili powder or more to taste
- 3 cups tomato sauce, canned (one 28-ounce can)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Early in the day, rinse beans and pick out any stones or misshapen beans. Place beans in a large, heavy bottomed pot and add water. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes; turn off heat and allow beans to soak for 2–3 hours.
- When ready to continue, spray a nonstick skillet with vegetable oil spray. Heat skillet and add onions. Cook onions over medium heat until wilted. Add onions to pot of soaked, undrained beans.
- Cover beans and bring to a boil. Add chili powder, tomato sauce, and garlic; cook for 1 hour.
- Check occasionally to see if there is enough liquid. This will depend on the size of the pot and the beans. Add just enough water to keep beans covered. They will swell as they cook, and the liquid will evaporate.
- Meanwhile, heat the same skillet and cook the ground beef until well browned. Add the meat to the pot of cooking beans and continue to cook over low heat for another hour or so, until the beans are soft and much of the liquid has cooked down.
- Serve with chopped onions, a little grated cheese, and corn bread.
Calories from Fat 42 (27%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 18g
(25%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.