Butternut Squash with Parmesan
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 fresh sage leaves, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sweat until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, Parmesan rind, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the squash and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Remove the Parmesan rind and bay leaves; reserve the rind for another use.
- Puree about one quarter of the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return the puree to the pot and stir in the grated Parmesan, sage, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright © 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated on serving size of 1 cup.
Calories from Fat 41 (26%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 27g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.