Ruby red and tart, this salad goes well with rustic grilled poultry; or serve it on top of a mixed green salad.
- 4 large beets, fresh
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Scrub beets to remove any dirt or soil. (Do not peel, as the peel slides off easily after cooking).
- Place beets and enough water to cover them in a medium-sized saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes, until beets are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Hold each beet under cold running water and slip the skin off. Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch (1/2cm) slices, and place in a shallow bowl.
- Slice onions into rings. Add to beets.
- Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over beets and onions. Gently mix to combine.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 42 (61%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 6g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.