Braised Greens with Garlic
Any dark green leafy vegetable will work with this dish. Try kale, mustard or chard: mustard will be more bitter, while kale has an earthier flavor.
- 1 lb kale, mustard greens or chard, (about 8 cups)
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- Lemon wedges
- Wash greens thoroughly by soaking in lots of cold water. Drain. Chop greens into about 3-inch (8cm)pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté garlic for 2 minutes. Add greens to skillet. (They do not have to be dried off, as the water will evaporate during cooking.) Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring once in a while to coat all the greens with garlic and oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 35 (42%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(3%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 11g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.