Nutrients helped type 2 diabetics improve memory, control blood sugar and fats and lowered risk for diabetes, three new studies reveal.
In a memory study, scientists theorized that oxidative stress, which occurs naturally as the body digests food, is chronic in diabetes, and causes diabetics to lose memory. Researchers recruited 16 participants with type 2 diabetes, average age 64, who were not regularly taking high-dose antioxidant supplements. Scientists gave three “meals” on separate days that consisted of:
1) a high-fat meal alone;
2) a high-fat meal plus 1,000 mg
of vitamin C and 800 IU of vitamin E; and 3) water without
any food. Investigators tested memory about two hours after each meal and found that participants had poor memory after the high fat meal and better memory after the meals with vitamins C and E and water alone. Doctors concluded that the antioxidant vitamins C and E cut memory-loss after a high-fat meal in type 2 diabetics.
In a blood sugar study, 51 participants with type 2 diabetes who were taking conventional oral diabetes drugs also took 200 mg of milk thistle (silymarin) three times per day or a placebo. After four months, blood sugar on an empty stomach was 15 percent lower in the milk thistle group compared to 13 percent higher for placebo. The milk thistle group also had 12 percent lower total and LDL cholesterol, while the placebo group did not change and 25 percent lower triglycerides compared to 12 percent higher for placebo.
In a diabetes study, researchers analyzed the diets and measured blood levels of vitamin C in 21,831 women and men, average age 58. During 12 years of follow up, 735 participants developed diabetes. Doctors found that those with the highest blood levels of vitamin C were 62 percent less likely to develop diabetes than were those with the lowest levels and those who ate the most fruits and vegetables were 22 percent less likely to develop diabetes than those who ate the least.
Reference: Archives of Internal Medicine; 2008, Vol. 168, No. 14, 1493-9.