Wild Rice, Arugula, Grapefruit, and Toasted Pecans
Grapefruit in this green salad adds a surprisingly delicious and delicate edge to this pleasing combination of flavors.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups water or stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups grapefruit juice reduced to 1/4 cup
- 1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt, kosher if possible
- 2 Tbs diced shallots
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bag baby arugula
- 3 large grapefruit
- Place the water, wild rice and salt in a medium pot and bring to a simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the wild rice starts to split open and soften. (Do not cook until completely open). Strain off the excess water, place in a bowl and cover with cling film to cool.
- Slowly reduce the grapefruit juice to 1/4 cup over a low flame. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and add the vinegar, salt and shallot, let steep for 15 minutes. Add the canola oil in a slow steady stream while whisking constantly to emulsify. Add the pepper.
- Wash the arugula in cold water, gently swishing to loosen any grit, let set for 5 minutes to allow any dirt to settle to the bottom and gently lift the arugula from the top and dry in a salad spinner. Set aside.
- Toss the pecans with the canola oil and salt, spread out on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. While the pecans are toasting, set your serving plates in the refrigerator to chill.
- Peel the grapefruit and remove each segment.
- Toss the wild rice, grapefruit, and pecans with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arugula bruises very easily so gently toss the arugula in another bowl with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Gently mix the contents of the 2 bowls together and divide amongst the chilled plates.
Calories from Fat 297 (60%)
(53%)Total Fat 34g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 10g
Monounsaturated Fat 20g
Total Carbohydrate 45g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.