White Chocolate Cherry Hand Pies
These kid-friendly pies, made with a personal touch, also offer a fruit-and-yogurt-filled alternative lower in fat and sugar.
- Pie Crust1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbs cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbs sunflower oil
- 4 Tbs ice water
- 1 egg white
- Filling8 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Prepare the pie crust first. In a large bowl sift together flours, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until the pieces are small but still visible.
- Add oil and yogurt to the bowl and stir with a fork to combine. Knead the dough for one minute in a bowl. It will still be fairly crumbly. Transfer to a floured surface and continue to knead until you can form a ball of dough. Divide the dough in half and flatten into two discs. Wrap in cellophane and refrigerate at least one hour.
- While the dough chills, make the filling. Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- When the dough is chilled, remove from the fridge and unwrap. Flour a large, smooth surface. Roll both balls of dough until they are each about 1/4-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut heart shapes or use a biscuit cutter or large glass to cut circles.
- Place half of the pie hearts onto the prepared cookie sheet and add one teaspoon of pie filling to the centre of each one.
- Wet your finger and paint it along the edges of each cutout. Place a second dough heart on top of the filling and press down along the edges to secure.
- Use the tines of a fork and press down along the edges to contain the pie filling. Brush a small amount of egg white on the top of each pie. This will give the pies a nice golden color.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Preparation Tip: Add personalized messages to each pie using letter stamps bought at a craft store.
Calories from Fat 109 (45%)
(19%)Total Fat 12g
(30%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.