White Almond and Artichoke Heart Hummus
I'm a big fan of artichoke hearts, so this splendiferous spread embodies my heart's and taste buds' desires. Fresh artichoke hearts are best procured when in season and can be marinated, steamed, or roasted to taste. You can use store-bought (organic) artichoke hearts to save time. Look for water-packed or oil-packed artichoke hearts over those marinated with vinegar. If you choose to buy the artichoke hearts and the only kind available involves vinegar, they can be rinsed to mellow the flavor so it doesn't overpower all else. This recipe is also great using chickpeas.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, soaked and peeled or chickpeas
- 2 Tbs raw tahini or pine nuts
- 4 artichoke hearts, divided
- extra-virgin olive oil or filtered water
- sea salt
- Place the almonds or chickpeas, tahini or pine nuts, and 3 of the prepared artichoke hearts in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until silky smooth. Add olive oil and/or filtered water to aid blending if necessary. It may be necessary to scrape the walls of the blender or food processor and continue to blend to achieve an even, smooth consistency.
- Season to taste with sea salt.
- Chop the remaining artichoke heart and fold into the hummus.
Copyright © 2005 by Renée Loux
Serving Suggestion: This hummus can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Calories from Fat 53 (23%)
(10%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(37%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.