Vegetarian Skillet Stew
Recipe by Mary Martha Shaw
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Half 3-inch (8-cm) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4–5 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch (0.3-cm) rounds
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 to 3 cups (480 to 720mL) vegetable stock
- 1 bunch greens of choice, chopped
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup stock
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Grind all spices together.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until fork tender. Set aside.
- Heat a 3- to 4-quart (2.9- to 3.8-L) skillet. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onions, stirring to coat with the oil.
- Next, add the ground spices and garlic, mixing into the onions.
- Add the carrots, coating again with the oil and spices.
- Pour in the 2 to 3 cups (480 to 720mL) of stock. Add the beans and the chopped greens. Cover and cook until the carrots and greens are tender.
- Add the potatoes.
- Remove 1/2 cup (120mL) of the cooking stew and purée in a blender. Return to the skillet.
- Add the currents, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Serve immediately over brown basmati rice.
Calories from Fat 65 (19%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 61g
(39%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.