Vegetarian "Dosas" with Curried Chickpeas and Mint Chutney
Ready for a change in your dinner lineup? This inspired Indian-style “tostada" is flavorful and fun to eat.
- Indian Dosa Pancakes8 medium flour tortillas (use whole wheat to make it healthier)
- Curried Chickpea Filling5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red, yellow, or white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 green, yellow, or red pepper, finely diced
- 2 medium-hot banana chilies, minced
- 2 Tbs cumin, ground
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 1 Tbs sea salt (coarse).
- 1 Tbs turmeric
- 4 cups cooked or canned chick peas (about two 16-oz cans)
- 1/2 cup (4oz) tomato paste
- Coconut Curry Sauce1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 3/4 tsp sea salt (coarse)
- 3 Tbs curry powder
- 3 Tbs spelt flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- Fresh Mint Chutney2 cups packed fresh mint
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 shallot, peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbs organic sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Indian Dosa PancakesSpray the tortillas lightly with cooking spray, line them up on a baking sheet, and put them under the broiler at 350°F for about 3 to 5 minute on both sides to make them a nice, crispy base.
- Curried Chickpea FillingHeat a large saucepan over medium to low heat. Add the garlic, veggies, and spices, cooking until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the chickpeas by hand or in a food processor. Add the chickpeas and tomato paste to the saucepan, stirring until heated through.
- Coconut Curry SauceHeat a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the spices, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the flour and cook for an additional minute. (Omit this step if you’re not using flour.)
- Gradually stir in the vegetable broth to prevent lumps. Once the flour has been incorporated, add the coconut milk and tomatoes, stirring occasionally. Let it simmer for half an hour.
- Fresh Mint ChutneyBlend all ingredients in a food processor until you have a course puree. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- TO ASSEMBLETake one of your dosas and top it with the curried chickpea mixture. Add the coconut curry sauce (as much as you like on top!), and top with 1 to 2 Tbsp of mint chutney (of course you can add more of this if you like as well!) Happy eating!
Calories from Fat 98 (21%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 79g
(45%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.