Vegetarian Bean Stew
A great recipe for first-time cooks. You can't go wrong with this healthy chili-like stew.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-ounce can corn, drained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (you can use 3/4 cup if you like more sauce in your chili)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm, set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the bell pepper and red onion in the olive oil, until the onion is cooked (about 5 minutes); add tomatoes at the end and cook for 1 minute.
- Add black beans, red kidney beans, tomato sauce, salsa, and corn; stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients (all spices); stir to combine; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice (I usually put the brown rice at the bottom of the bowl, chili on top, and stir to combine).
Calories from Fat 25 (9%)
(5%)Total Fat 3g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 52g
(45%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.