Tuna, Broccoli, and White Bean Skillet Dinner
Farm-stand broccoli and home-cooked beans will elevate this quick, simple meal to a treat, especially when you also use a pungent Tuscan olive oil or Olio Verde from Sicily. You can opt for frozen broccoli and canned beans when time is short.
- 4 cups bunch broccoli, cut in 1 inch florets, or frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 1 (6 ounce) can light tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steam the broccoli 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Plunge it immediately into a bowl of ice water or run cold water over it until it is chilled. Drain well and set aside.
- In a deep, medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 1 minute, then mix in the garlic and pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is soft, 3 minutes longer. Add the tuna, breaking it into 1 inch pieces.
- Add the broccoli, beans, and tomatoes to the skillet, and cook 4 minutes, until they are heated through. Season with salt and pepper, and serve. If there are leftovers, serve them at room temperature as a salad.
Copyright © 2005 by Dana Jacobi
Calories from Fat 61 (37%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 11g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.