Tofu and Bean Lasagna
This substantial entree can be made with homemade marinara sauce, or a good quality jarred sauce. Either way, it’s a great way to incorporate healthful beans and tofu into a familiar dish. Extra oregano and basil may be added if desired.
- 8–12 lasagna noodles
- 4 cups marinara sauce (32 ounces)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (one 28-ounce can)
- 2 cups kidney beans (one 15-ounce can), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (2 pounds)
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese*
- 1 block silken tofu
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray a 9x13-inch (22x32cm) oven-proof casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Prepare sauce: Combine jarred marinara sauce with the canned tomato sauce in a saucepan. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add kidney beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Prepare filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine ricotta cheese, tofu, pepper, and parsley and blend thoroughly. Slice mozzarella cheese into thin slices, or grate using a coarse grater.
- Assemble the lasagna: Layer 1/4 of the sauce, 4 noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella slices in the pan. Then repeat the layers, ending with sauce. Pour about 1 cup (240mL) of water around the edges of the dish and shake the casserole to settle the ingredients. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 149 (34%)
(26%)Total Fat 17g
(43%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 44g
(25%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.