Sweet Potato Tacos with a Spicy Yogurt Sauce
With sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt, this is not your traditional taco but they may be some of the most delicious ones you'll ever have.
- 1.5 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 heaping tsp chili powder (I would use about 1 1/2 tsp to increase the spiciness of the dish)
- 1 tsp paprika (I would use 2 tsp, again to increase the spice)
- 1 heaping tsp cumin (I would use 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, if you like it spicy)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can refried black beans
- 1 6-ounce container of 0% Greek Yogurt
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Cilantro, diced (it’s a garnish, so use as much as you like)
- Taco seasoning, to taste
- Cut up your veggies: sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots. Meanwhile, heat the black beans over low heat and add taco seasoning to taste (the more you add, the spicier it will be. I used a couple teaspoons).
- Sauté the onions, carrots, sweet potatoes in olive oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne if you’re using it. Let the mixture cook until the potatoes are soft. (If you want it to cook quickly, cover the pan and just stir every couple minutes.)
- While the veggies are cooking, chop your cilantro and set aside.
- Prepare your yogurt sauce. Empty the Greek yogurt into a bowl, and stir in a couple teaspoons of taco seasoning (taste it periodically to make sure it’s achieved the spice level you want). Add 1-2 Tbsp water to thin out the yogurt mixture (the more water you add, the thinner it will get). Mix everything together until the yogurt is smooth.
- Begin assembling your tacos! Heat up your corn tortillas and on each tortilla put 2-3 Tbsp refried black beans, 1/3 cup of the veggie mixture, 1-3 Tbsp of the yogurt mixture (depending on how much sauce you want), and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Calories from Fat 33 (16%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(30%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.