Steamed Green and White Vegetables
How often have you seen an advertisement for broccoli or cauliflower? Not too often! But once you start working this side dish into your weekly diet, you will become a walking commercial for the goodness of these steamed vegetables. Eating this alongside fish, chicken, or steak leaves you feeling cleansed and satisfied, yet never stuffed.
- 1/2 bunch broccoli, cut into florets, thick stems discarded (about 3/4 pound of broccoli)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 3/4 pound of cauliflower)
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small carrot, trimmed, peeled, and sliced
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- Chop the broccoli and cauliflower florets into bite-size pieces.
- In a steamer basket set over boiling water or in an electric steamer, steam the vegetables for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Serve the steamed vegetables sprinkled with zest.
Recipe courtesy of The Pump Energy Food by Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. Copyright © 2005 Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Variation: Substitute 1 cup of thinly sliced snow peas for the carrots. You could also substitute 3/4 pound of trimmed and halved wax beans or string beans for the carrots.
Calories from Fat 4 (7%)
(1%)Total Fat 1g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.