Spicy Black Bean Chili
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, this is truly the best black bean chili you will ever taste— a five star recipe!
- 2 1/4 cups black beans, dried, uncooked
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 6 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, (red or green), chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno chile pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 Tbs garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbs cilantro leaves, chopped
- Wash beans and place in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in a large soup pot. Add 8 cups (1.9L) water to beans and heat to a boil. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are almost cooked.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Continue cooking for 30 minutes than add cilantro.
- Simmer for another 30–45 minutes until beans are soft.
- Top with light sour cream or yogurt, if desired. Leftovers freeze well.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 6 (5%)
(1%)Total Fat 1g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.