Cumin and chili powder give this traditional comfort food a spicy Southwestern flavor.
- 2 lbs ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup thick and chunky salsa
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl except salsa, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape beef mixture into 10 x 4-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 350°F oven 1 hour,15 minutes to 1 hour, 20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Top with salsa; cut into slices.
Cooking Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs. One and one-half slices make about 1 cup crumbs.
Calories from Fat 65 (31%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
(6%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.