Skewered Spiced Lamb Kafta
These gently spiced lamb skewers pair nicely with minted citrus-fennel-couscous salad.
- 4 lbs ground lamb
- 1 medium small red onion, peeled, finely diced
- 3 oz lime juice
- 3 bunches flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp cayenne
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 3/4 tsp cardamom, ground
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 12 pita bread rounds
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 tsp ground Sumac
- Mix together lamb, onion, lime juice and parsley. Season with coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, cardamom, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate lamb mixture to chill.
- Once chilled, shape into 24 approximately 3-ounce flattened patties. Wrap around skewers. Grill or cook in skillet with a little oil until done, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Brush pitas with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac. Toast or grill until crisp. Break into chips.
Serve with a chilled salad of couscous seasoned with thinly shaved fennel bulb, orange peel and juice, olive oil and torn fresh mint. If desired, garnish with orange and grapefruit slices.
Calories from Fat 347 (55%)
(60%)Total Fat 39g
(80%)Saturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrate 40g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.