This versatile recipe can also be adapted to make small tart quiches for appetizers at your next gathering.
- 8 oz pork sausage (bulk)
- 1 pastry pie shell
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach, chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cherry tomatoes (optional), halved
- watercress sprigs (optional)
- Prepare pastry and set aside.
- Crumble sausage in medium skillet; add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat till sausage is browned, stirring occasionally; drain well.
- Thaw spinach, drain well. Remove remaining moisture by pressing spinach between layers of paper toweling. Add spinach to sausage mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in pastry shell. Top with sausage mixture. In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, cream and salt; mix well. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake in a 375° F oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and watercress, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Serving Suggestion: Serve this with croissants and seasonal fresh fruit.
Calories from Fat 363 (71%)
(63%)Total Fat 41g
(85%)Saturated Fat 17g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.