Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup with Chive Oil
A fall-time favorite sure to bring warmth into the hearts of everyone you share it with.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Chardonnay
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 Tbs fresh chives
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place diced squash, sweet potato, and carrots on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping the vegetables half-way through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté onions until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the celery and apple and continue to sauté until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth, water, lemon juice, and Chardonnay. Season with nutmeg, thyme, sage, marjoram, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- In small batches, carefully puree soup in a blender. Return to pot and slowly whisk in milk. Remove from heat.
- Chive OilIn a food processor, combine olive oil and fresh chives. Pulse until smooth. Serve soup and drizzle with chive oil.
- Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or it can be frozen for future use.
Calories from Fat 120 (29%)
(21%)Total Fat 14g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 66g
(42%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.