Roasted Pumpkin and Shrimp Bisque
Hollowed-out mini-pumpkins make stunning bowls for this rich and elegant bisque.
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin purée (Canned pumpkin or roasted butternut squash can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cup shrimp or chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup reduced shrimp or shellfish cream
- 6 oz. dry sherry
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 medium onion
- ground ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 roasted mini pumpkins hollowed out
- 12 (11-15 count) shrimp, peeled and de-veined (shells reserved)
- Sauté the shrimp shells in half the butter until well colored, deglaze with the sherry and allow to evaporate.
- Add 2 cups heavy cream, thyme and simmer till reduced by half and strain.
- Sauté the onion with the remaining butter till translucent, add the pumpkin purée, shrimp stock, 6 diced shrimp and reduced shrimp cream and allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the spice blend, salt and pepper to taste. With a hand held immersion blender purée the mixture till smooth.
- To serve season the remaining shrimp with salt and pepper and sear in hot skillet with olive oil till cooked through. Divide soup mixture evenly into the roasted mini pumpkins or warmed soup bowls. Garnish with seared shrimp and chives.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 178 (64%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(55%)Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.