Roasted Chicken on a Bed of Winter Vegetables
This winter favorite is a classic and dependable recipe for whole roasted chicken with root vegetables.
- 3 1/2 lb broiler-fryer
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 thyme sprigs
- kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 medium leeks, white part only, washed carefully and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks or rounds
- 6 red potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium parsnips, or 6 medium turnips, or 2 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into thin sticks (or any combination of these vegetables, enough to yield 6 cups)
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly. Put lemon, onion and thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle the skin of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Scatter the leeks, carrots, potatoes, turnips and/or rutabaga over the bottom of a roasting pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper. Set the chicken on top of the vegetables. Pour white wine and chicken broth over chicken and vegetables.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour until the skin is browned, the juices at the joint of the thigh run clear when pierced with a knife, and a thermometer inserted into the flesh of the thigh registers 180 F. Stir vegetables and baste chicken with juices occasionally during cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Lift the vegetables into a serving bowl and pour or ladle the juices into a pitcher or gravy boat. Carve the chicken and serve with vegetable juices.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Nutrition note: Nutrition calculation based on parsnips.
Calories from Fat 276 (43%)
(47%)Total Fat 31g
(44%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 44g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.