Roast Cornish Game Hens with Sauteed Blueberries
Blueberries in butter with a splash of wine vinegar to make a wonderfully tangy sauce--guaranteed to enhance any fowl or game dish.
- 4 halves cornish game hens or squabs, halved (about 3 pounds)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper teaspoon
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbs honey
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup shallot, minced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Rub hens with balsamic vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Place on a rack in a roasting pan; roast until thigh juices run clear, about 35 minutes.
- To prepare garlic: Blanch cloves in boiling water. In a skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the butter, the honey, thyme, garlic and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until liquid is reduced to a syrup and garlic turns golden brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes; remove thyme sprigs.
- To prepare sautéed blueberries: In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes. Add blueberries; cook until they soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in red wine vinegar; simmer until mixture has a saucy consistency, about 2 minutes.
- To serve: Arrange each hen half on wilted escarole, if desired. Spoon sautéed blueberries and sweet garlic cloves around hens.
Calories from Fat 133 (54%)
(23%)Total Fat 15g
(26%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 13g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.