Quinoa Vegetable Paella
The beautiful aromatic flavors of saffron, cumin, and paprika will remind you of warm tropical days in far-off destinations.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 tsp saffron, crushed
- 2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1/4 dash cayenne
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted adds some extra flavor)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed and cut into quarters
- 3 Tbs sliced almonds
- A few healthy splashes of lemon juice
- Salt to taste (you definitely need salt in this dish!)
- Put the quinoa into a large bowl. Cover with water and stir well to wash the grain. Pour off the water and then repeat the washing process. You may also put the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a deep nonstick skillet with a little (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil until soft.
- Add the quinoa and saffron and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, cayenne, tomatoes, peppers, beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Place the zucchini on top of the quinoa and cover. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until quinoa is done.
- Remove the cover, stir in the peas, and cook uncovered until peas are warm and all liquid is absorbed, 5 to 15 minutes.
- Season with a few splashes of lemon juice, salt, and stir in a few tablespoons of sliced almonds.
- Arrange the artichoke hearts on the top and top with a sprinkling of sliced almonds before serving.
Calories from Fat 54 (15%)
(10%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 63g
(59%)Dietary Fiber 15g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.