Quinoa and Bean Salad
This main dish salad features quinoa, an ancient Inca grain. High-protein quinoa cooks in 15 minutes, so it’s great for fast meals.
- Quinoa salad:1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 to 3 scallions, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bean salad:1 16-ounce (455g) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 Tbs apple cider
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnishes: Pumpkin seeds
- Black olives
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Boil 2 cups water (480mL) in a saucepan. Add the quinoa and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl. Combine quinoa with remaining ingredients for the quinoa salad.
- While the quinoa cooks, toss the bean salad ingredients in another bowl.
- To assemble, spread quinoa salad evenly on a platter. Leave a well in the center and mound bean salad into the well. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Arrange olives and pepper strips around the edge.
Calories from Fat 54 (21%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.