Quick Tortellini Soup
A speedy soup for busy cooks that appeals to people of all ages. Serve with bread and sliced vegetables or salad.
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth; use reduced sodium canned or homemade
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced fine
- 4 oz green chiles, diced, (one 4-ounce can)
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp basil, dried or 1 Tbsp (1.5g) fresh, finely chopped
- 2 cups tortellini, cheese-filled*, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbs freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- In a large soup pot, bring broth, onion, carrot, green chiles, garlic and basil to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Turn heat up and bring broth to a boil. Add tortellini and cook uncovered until tender to bite, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 80 (24%)
(13%)Total Fat 9g
(17%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 45g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.