Pulled Lamb Sandwiches with Goat Cheese, Arugula, and Caramelized Onions
Savory lamb shanks, creamy goat cheese, peppery arugula, and caramelized onions comprise this outstanding sandwich.
- 2 to 3 American lamb shanks (about 3 pounds)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 medium onions
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 8 slices rustic bread, toasted, or 4 crisped tortillas
- 1 container (5 to 6 ounces) spreadable goat cheese
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced, or 4 bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained
- In a kettle, combine lamb shanks with broth, chili powder and 1 onion, sliced. Cover; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Remove shanks from broth and when cool enough to handle, pull meat off bones into shredded pieces.
- Slice remaining onion; gently sauté in oil over medium heat until sweet and caramelized.
- Spread bread with goat cheese. Stack 4 slices with arugula, tomatoes, shredded lamb and caramelized onions. Close sandwiches. If preferred, stack all ingredients on tortillas.
Calories from Fat 395 (50%)
(68%)Total Fat 44g
(90%)Saturated Fat 18g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 19g
Total Carbohydrate 37g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.