Pineapple-Orange Frozen Custard Ice Cream
A fruity frozen dessert that's perfect for a hot day.
- Custard Base6 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- Ice Cream3 cups fresh pineapple puree
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, defrosted
- 2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla
- crushed ice
- rock salt
- Custard BaseBeat eggs and sugar in medium heavy saucepan until blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and temperature reaches 160°F, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water; stir occasionally and gently for a few minutes to hasten cooling. Press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Ice CreamPour chilled custard, pineapple puree, whipping cream, juice concentrate, orange peel, and vanilla into 1-gallon ice cream freezer can. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions, using 6 parts crushed ice to 1 part rock salt. Transfer to freezer containers, allowing head space for expansion; freeze until firm.
Calories from Fat 82 (40%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(26%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(2%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.