Old Country Seafood Chowder
This chowder will take you to New England with a creamy mix of seafood, potatoes and seasoning.
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks (1/4-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel (1/4-inch)
- 12 oz Yukon gold potatoes, diced (1-inch)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups fish stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 oz chopped smoked salmon
- 1 cup olives, whole, pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Heat butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Stir in potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Pour in sherry, fish stock and cream and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are breaking down. Add cod, smoked salmon and olives and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, season with dill, lemon juice and hot sauce. Serve hot.
Calories from Fat 128 (30%)
(22%)Total Fat 14g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.