My Mother’s Lentil Soup
Dependable, hearty, and nourishing, just like Mom! This soup is hearty enough to serve as a main dish, accompanied by bread and salad.
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium new potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook covered for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are soft and start to fall apart.
- Some people prefer the lentils very soft, others prefer them a bit more chewy. Use your judgement! If a spicier soup is desired, add more salt or pepper, or even a splash or two of Tabasco sauce
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 7 (2%)
(1%)Total Fat 1g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 59g
(94%)Dietary Fiber 23g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.