Mushroom Consommé with Sake
A fusion of East and West techniques and flavors, it makes a refined first course. It is also comforting sipped from a mug if you omit the garnish.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 10 oz white mushrooms, with stems, thinly sliced
- 3 medium dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup dried porcini mushrooms (1/4 ounce)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup diced soft regular tofu (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, cut in 1/4" ribbons
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup enoki mushrooms, for garnish
- 4 paper-thin slices daikon radish, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until it is well-browned, 10 minutes. Pour in 10 cups cold water. Add the mushrooms, celery, parsley, sage, and peppercorns. When the liquid boils, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Set the broth aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain it into a large bowl. Press lightly on the solids before discarding them. There will be about 8 cups mushroom broth.
- To serve, set out 4 small, deep bowls. Place one-quarter of the tofu and spinach in each bowl. Heat 4 cups of the broth in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When the soup starts bubbling around the edges, add the sake, tamari, and salt. Divide among the 4 bowls. Add in the enoki and daikon slices, and serve.
Copyright © 2005 by Dana Jacobi
Calories from Fat 54 (22%)
(10%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 31g
(41%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.