Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Simple ingredients melt into crispy bread to create a deliciously satisfying sandwich.
- 4 slices loaf bread (whole wheat or white)
- 2 Tbs honey mustard
- 2 (1-oz) thin slices ham
- 2 (1-oz) thin slices turkey
- 2 (1-oz) slices Swiss or mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1-2 Tbs butter
- Spread one side of 2 bread slices with mustard. Top remaining 2 slices with ham, cheese slice and turkey slice. Close sandwiches with mustard side down.
- Combine eggs and half and half in a small bowl and using wire whisk beat to combine. Place sandwiches in a shallow casserole dish and pour batter over sandwiches, pressing to absorb liquid. Turn sandwiches and press. Refrigerate sandwiches for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Cook sandwiches in skillet on each side until golden brown and cheese has melted. May turn sandwiches again to make sure batter is cooked and bread is crispy.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. Serve with baked chips and pickle if used for lunch. If served for breakfast or brunch, serve with fresh fruit.
Calories from Fat 216 (44%)
(37%)Total Fat 24g
(52%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 40g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.