Mexican Pork and Bean Chili and Shredded Lettuce Salad
This incredible chili takes only 20 minutes to make. The degree of heat is up to you. Add more chili powder or fresh chile peppers as you like.
- Mexican Pork and Bean Chili2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced (1 cup), divided use
- 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, fat removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 celery stalk, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups canned no-salt added chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned and drained corn kernels
- 1 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin seed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish:1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Shredded Lettuce Salad4 cups washed, ready-to eat mixed salad
- 2 Tbs reduced fat olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Mexican Pork and Bean ChiliHeat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sliced onion for garnish. Add the meat, celery, green pepper, and remaining onion to the skillet. Cook 5 minutes, tossing to brown meat on all sides. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin seed. Lower heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chili in large bowls. Place the sour cream, cilantro, and reserved onion into small bowls and pass with the chili.
- Shredded Lettuce SaladPlace salad in a bowl and toss with dressing.
Copyright © 2005 by Linda Gassenheimer
Variation: Frozen diced onion and green pepper can be substituted for fresh to save time.
Variation: White cannellini beans can be used instead of red beans. They will give a softer, lighter texture to the dish.
Serving Suggestion: Serve this chili with bowls of sour cream, chopped onion, and chopped fresh cilantro as garnishes, along with some rice.
Serving Suggestion: Chili freezes well. If you have time, double the recipe and freeze half for another quick dinner.
Calories from Fat 173 (27%)
(31%)Total Fat 20g
(35%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 75g
(102%)Dietary Fiber 25g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.