Light Albacore Chowder
This hearty tuna chowder makes a quick meal on a chilly winter's eve.
- 1 1/3 lbs skinless Pacific albacore loin cuts or steaks
- 1 can 10.75 ounces chicken broth, preferably low-sodium or salt-free style
- 1 cup diced new potatoes
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- Rinse albacore with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Cube fish; set aside. In medium saucepan, mix broth with 1 can of water. Place albacore in steamer tray over broth and steam 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Albacore should be pink in center when removed from heat. Set albacore aside.
- Strain broth into large saucepan. Add potatoes and simmer until tender. Remove cooked potatoes from broth, reserving liquid. Pureé cooked potatoes with 1/4 cup broth. Return with remaining broth to pot. Add thyme, basil, and vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are almost tender.
- Before serving, stir in albacore and milk and heat to serving temperature without boiling. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 58 (16%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.