Lasagna Light Style
A little bit of chicken Italian sausage and roasted eggplant slices goes a long way in this lighter version of a classic.
- 4 cups marinara sauce, homemade or commercial
- 2 cups tomato sauce, canned
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 lb chicken Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 4 cups non-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbs parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare sauce: combine prepared marinara sauce, tomato sauce and water and mix well.
- Prepare fillings: Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch (2cm) thick rounds. Spray vegetable oil spray on a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Place eggplant slices on pan and bake in oven for 10 minutes.urn each piece over and bake for another 5 minutes. They should be brown in color, and soft to the touch. Allow to cool to room temperture.
- Brown chicken sausage in a non-stick skillet, stirring to loosen from pan. Turn off heat and reserve.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine nonfat ricotta, egg white, parsley, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Decrease oven heat to 350°F (175°C).
- Assemble lasagna: Pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13-inch (23x33cm) pan. Place 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan, covering the bottom. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Follow this with a layer of eggplant slices, and 1/3 of the chicken sausage. Pour 1/3 of the remaining sauce over all.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespons (15g) of the grated Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat layers, using all the filling ingredients, and ending with sauce. Pour 1 cup (240mL) of water around the edges of the assembled dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
- Carefully remove foil and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Calories from Fat 174 (30%)
(30%)Total Fat 19g
(45%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 70g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.