Lamb Steaks with Citrus Black Beans
Garlicky lamb leg steak pairs nicely with canned black beans tossed with lemon and orange juices.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green and or red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 pound American Lamb leg steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large orange, sectioned, or 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Mash 1/2 cup of the black beans and stir in orange juice and lemon juice. Blend well, set aside.
- Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender. Stir in bean mixture, whole black beans, orange peel, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Keep warm.
- Remove round bone from lamb steak and cut into 4 portions. Rub garlic salt and pepper into meat.
- To BroilCook 4 inches from heat source. Broil for 5 to 7 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160° F for medium, or 170° F for well. Cover and let steak stand for 10 minutes. Temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
- To GrillCook lamb over medium-hot coals. Grill steaks 5 to 7 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160° F for medium, or 170° F for well. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
- To ServeGently stir orange sections into bean mixture; heat through. Slice lamb steaks and serve with black beans.
Calories from Fat 149 (36%)
(25%)Total Fat 17g
(35%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 37g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.