These Spanish specialties are a handful of richly flavored ground lamb, nuts, and olives surrounded by a flaky pastry crust.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 pound ground American Lamb
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives, stuffed with pimento
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 dashes red pepper sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 recipes pastry for double crust pie, rolled 1/16-inch thick
- In large frying pan, heat oil. Cook onion, garlic and pine nuts for 3 to 5 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add lamb, finely crumble and cook until lamb is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Add olives, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper sauce; set aside.
- In small bowl, make egg wash by beating together egg and water; set aside.
- Using cookie cutter, cut 4-inch rounds out of pastry. Fill each with tablespoon of filling. Fold over to make half moon; crimp edges to seal. Cut three 1-inch slits in top of pastry.
- Brush with egg wash. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake in 375° F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Lamb Cuts: Ground Lamb
Storing Lamb: Ground lamb may be frozen for up to 3-4 months. Lamb cuts or roasts may be frozen for up to 6-9 months. To maintain quality, re-wrap the lamb tightly in heavy-duty plastic wrap, a sealable plastic freezer bag or freezer wrap to prevent freezer burn.
Calories from Fat 535 (68%)
(92%)Total Fat 60g
(99%)Saturated Fat 20g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 26g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.