Lamb and Asparagus Sandwich with Caper-Herb Sauce
Capers, tarragon and cornichons combine in a flavorful sauce for this hearty sandwich.
- 2 lbs lamb top round
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- salt, as needed
- 24 jumbo fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 6 oblong sandwich rolls, split
- Caper-Herb Sauce:2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chopped capers
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp chopped cornichons (tart, French pickled gherkins), optional
- 2 tsp thinly sliced chives
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped finely
- Rub lamb with oil, garlic, and salt. Roast in a shallow roasting pan at 375°F until it reaches 130°F on an instant-read meat thermometer, about 40 minutes, for medium rare. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, put asparagus into a large skillet of salted, boiling water. Boil until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain well; spread on paper towel to cool.
- Thinly slice lamb; divideinto 6 portions.
- Caper-Herb SauceThoroughly combine mayonnaise with remaining sauce ingredients. Sauce can be made up to 1 day ahead, store tightly sealed in the refrigerator.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon reserved sauce on each side of cut rolls. Layer lamb and asparagus on bottom of rolls, interspersing asparagus between slices of lamb. Cover sandwiches with tops; cut in half diagonally.
Calories from Fat 257 (50%)
(44%)Total Fat 29g
(31%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.