Hoisin Vegetable and Tofu Stir-Fry
The garlic and hot pepper flakes in this stir-fry are a nice foil for the sweetness of the hoisin sauce. To organize yourself, cook 1 1/2 cups rice before you begin stir-frying and keep it warm on the back burner; the stir frying will take only a few minu
- Sauce:1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 Tbs tamari
- Stir-Fry:2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, sliced, patted very dry, then cut into 2x1/2-inch (5x1.25cm) logs
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3x1/2-inch (8x1.25cm) strips
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets, stalks peeled and sliced (about 5 cups or 575g)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Make sure tofu is patted very dry to prevent sticking. Add tofu to wok and stir-fry until lightly golden. Transfer tofu to a platter and reduce heat to medium-high.
- Add a tsp of oil to the wok. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Stir in red bell pepper, broccoli and walnuts and toss to coat with the garlic. Pour in water, toss vegetables, then cover the pan. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender but crunchy.
- Stir in tofu, then pour on the sauce mixture. Stir-fry 1 minute or until the sauce coats everything and is thickened. Serve on rice.
Calories from Fat 200 (56%)
(36%)Total Fat 23g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.