Hearty Sausage Soup (Soupa de Parma)
Easy to put together, this soup is a whole meal. Serve with corn muffins and a salad.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb chicken Italian sausage, sliced or crumbled
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups tomatoes, canned, chopped or broken up with a spoon
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch (1.5cm) thick
- 1 cup pasta shells, uncooked.
- Brown sausage in a non stick pan. Add onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Transfer to a large heavy bottomed soup pot, and add chicken or vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, wine and basil.
- Bring soup to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn the heat down and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add green pepper, zucchini and pasta and cook for another 25 minutes. Season with pepper, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.
Calories from Fat 71 (27%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.