Healthy Vegan Red Velvet Brownies
Beans make these brownies rich, chewy, and moist, while beets add that perfect crimson color of red velvet cake.
- Healthy Vegan Red Velvet Brownies1 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup cooked beets
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbs apple sauce
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ground flax (put 1/4 cup of flax seeds in a clean coffee grinder, pulse until smooth.)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Vegan Cream Cheese Icing1/4 cup raw cashew pieces
- 3 Tbs soy milk
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 cup firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups vegan-friendly icing sugar
- Healthy Vegan Red Velvet BrowniesPreheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8 × 8-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree kidney beans and beets. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand until smooth and fully combined.
- Fold batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, turning the pan halfway through.
- When the brownies are done, test them with a toothpick. You want some batter to cling to the toothpick. Do not overbake.
- Let cool completely. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Cut into squares or use cookie cutters to make heart shapes.
- Vegan Cream Cheese IcingIn a food processor, combine cashews, soy milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, salt, and maple syrup. Pulse several minutes until it is a smooth, creamy texture. Add tofu crumbles and continue to pulse until thick and smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add margarine and icing sugar. With an electric mixer, blend until combined and thickened.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before icing brownies.
Calories from Fat 81 (60%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.