Grilled Pears Stuffed with Mascarpone and Bacon
A Bartlett pear, gently poached before lightly carmelizing it on the grill, is finished with a bubbly, sweet-salty mascarpone-bacon mixture.
- Pear Halves1 medium Bartlett pear, cut in half
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Mascarpone Filling3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (to make 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the sugar, water, white wine, lemon juice, the split vanilla bean and its seeds, in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the core from the pear halves with a melon baller and use a small paring knife to remove the stem. Add the pears to the liquid and simmer over low heat until they turn slightly translucent and become tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the pear halves to cool slightly in the liquid before removing and allowing to drain.
- Make the filling by mixing the mascarpone, crumbled bacon, chopped chives, salt and black pepper in a small bowl until the ingredients are well distributed. Set aside.
- To grill the pears, lightly coat the grill with vegetable oil and preheat to high, about 400 degrees. When it is hot, place the pears cut side down on the grill for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the flesh is lightly caramelized. Turn the pears over and fill them with about two tablespoons of the mascarpone mixture. Remove the pears from the grill when the mascarpone begins to melt.
- To serve, arrange each pear half on a plate with some of the remaining mascarpone mixture on the side. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 208 (28%)
(36%)Total Fat 23g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 112g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.