Grilled Lamb Salad Paella
This grilled lamb paella is one of the most flavorful presentations of rice around.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2-1/2 pounds American Lamb leg steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 6 saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/3 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder.
- In 13 x 9-inch baking dish, arrange lamb steaks in a single layer. Pour on 1/3 cup marinade. Cover and refrigerate, marinating 4 to 8 hours, turning twice.
- In medium pan with lid, combine broth, oregano, garlic salt and saffron. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Cover, lower heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes; cool slightly.
- To BroilPlace lamb steaks on broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat source for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160° F for medium, or 170° F for well.
- To GrillCook over medium-hot coals. Grill lamb steaks 4 inches from coals for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170° F for well.
- To ServeSlice cooked lamb into 1/4-inch thick strips; cover and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, red and green peppers, artichoke hearts, peas, tomatoes, almonds, green onions and lamb. Add remaining 2/3 cup dressing and toss.
Defrosting Lamb: Thaw frozen lamb in the refrigerator overnight or for faster thawing, use a microwave oven, following the manufacturer's directions. Do not thaw frozen lamb at room temperature.
Calories from Fat 414 (62%)
(79%)Total Fat 51g
(80%)Saturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 27g
Total Carbohydrate 31g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.