Greens with Smoked Turkey, Apples and Walnuts
This meal-in-one salad combines the wonderful flavors and textures of caramelized nuts, greens and apples in a light curry dressing. Tuna or chicken can be substituted for turkey. Serve with fresh, crusty bread.
- 3 Tbs walnuts, pieces
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 8 cups red leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 apple, chopped (any sweet variety)
- 6 oz smoked turkey breast, cut into 1-inch (3cm) pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Dressing:1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare dressing: In a jar or small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Prepare caramelized walnuts: Combine sugar and walnuts in a heavy skillet. Cook slowly over medium-low heat, stirring often, until all the sugar has melted onto the walnuts and they are brown. Remove from hot pan and cool. If prepared ahead, store in an air-tight container.
- Assemble salad: Combine greens, apple, smoked turkey (or tuna) and red onion. Toss gently with curry dressing. Portion salad onto plates and sprinkle with caramelized walnuts.
Calories from Fat 96 (46%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.